US Certified Gold Coins at Provident Metals
There are several unique coin programs in the world, but few are as popular as the unique coin programs from the US Mint. Their most popular coin is the American Eagle Gold Coin, the official gold bullion coin of the United States. As such, the American Eagle Gold Coin is also among the most popular certified coins in the world as well. Learn all about these, and other US Certified Gold Coins, right here at Provident Metals.
Collectors and investors alike love certified coins as there a way to guarantee that you’re getting a quality coin. While there are many coin-grading providers out there, the most well-known are the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS).
The process of getting a coin certified involves sending in your coin to one of those providers. The coin grading provider will carefully analyze the coin and give it a grade. They then put your coin in a protective plastic slab, to preserve its graded condition, before the coin is returned to you.
Both the NGC and the PCGS use the Sheldon Scale to grade coins. The Sheldon Scale is from 1 to 70 with 70 meaning a flawless specimen. Among the most common grades for a US Certified Gold Coin are the following:
- Mint State/ Proof (PF/PR) 70: These coins are considered perfect specimens with no post-production imperfections when viewed under 5x magnification. These coins have their full, original mint luster.
- Mint State/ Proof (PF/PR) 69: These coins are near-perfect specimens with a maximum of two minor detractions such as hairlines or minor contact marks. Like coins with a grade of 70, these also have their full, original mint luster.
Popular US Certified Gold Coins
- American Eagle Gold Coins: The American Eagle Gold Coin is the best-selling gold bullion coin in the world, thus it’s among the most popular certified gold coins in the world as well. These coins are available in four unique sizes – 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz. These coins are released annually in all 4 sizes, with 3 variations as well – BU, proof, and burnished.
- Pre-33 Gold Coins: In 1933, to end the depression, President Roosevelt ordered all US citizens to relinquish their gold coins. As such, Pre-33 Gold Coins are extremely popular due to their significance and historical value. Certified Pre-33 Gold Coins can have an even greater value due to the grading. Popular Pre-33 Gold Coins to have certified are the $20 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, $10 Liberty Gold Eagle, and the $5 Liberty Half Eagle. Due to their age, Pre-33 Gold Coins are usually graded in the lower 60s, commonly between an MS61-MS64.
- US Commemorative Gold Coins: Another popular option amongst US Certified Gold Coins is US Commemorative Gold Coins. Modern US Commemorative Gold made a return in 1982 with at least one commemorative coin being released every year, except for 1985 and 2023. The scarcity of these coins makes them rare and popular, with certified coins adding to their already great value.
Buying US Certified Gold Coins at Provident Metals
Don’t hesitate to reach out to the Provident Metals customer service team with any questions you may have about US Certified Gold Coins. Our team can be reached at 1-800-313-3315. We can also be reached via email or through our online chat feature.