Canadian Silver at Provident Metals
The Royal Canadian Mint is among the most popular sovereign mints in the world. The RCM creates one of the best-selling coins in the world, known as the Canadian Maple Leaf. The RCM also creates other highly innovative bullion products that you can learn about right here, at Provident Metals.
Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Coins
The Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Coin is the official silver bullion coin of Canada. The series debuted in 1988 and was the first-ever .9999 pure silver bullion coin available to investors. These coins feature 1 Troy oz of .9999 pure silver and have a face value of $5 (CAD). The series has released new coins annually since 1988.
The obverse of these coins displays the profile of the reigning British monarch. In the overall series, three different obverse designs have been shown.
- 1988-1989: Coins with this issuing year display the Queen at the age of 39. Arnold Machin designed this image.
- 1990-2003: Coins with this issuing year showcase Her Majesty at the age of 64. Dora de Pédery-Hunt designed this image.
- 2004-2023: Coins with this issuing year feature Queen Elizabeth II at the age of 79. Susanna Blunt designed this image.
- 2023- Present: Coins with this issuing year feature King Charles III. This image was designed by Steven Rosati.
The reverse of these coins always showcases the iconic Canadian Maple Leaf design by Walter Ott. This design has been featured since the inception of the series. Notably, in 2014 new security features were added such as radial lines to the Maple Leaf as well as a micro-engraved laser mark.
Canadian Maple Leaf Privy Silver Coins
The Royal Canadian Mint also releases special privy coins in the overall Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Coin Series. These privy coins usually showcase major events and have lower mintages adding to their rarity. Since 1988, several unique privy coins have been released. Below are some of the more popular privy marks.
- Lunar Privy: Since 1998, the RCM has released coins showcasing a unique privy for the Chinese zodiac. This started in 1998 with the Year of the Tiger and ran until 2009. In 2012 it was brought back with the Year of the Dragon and ran until 2023.
- Firework Privy: For the celebration of the new millennium, the RCM released special firework privy coins in the Maple Leaf Series.
- Anniversary Privy: The RCM released coins with unique privy marks for special anniversaries. For example, in 2012 they released a 100th anniversary Titanic privy coin. In 1998, the RCM released the 90th anniversary of the RCM unique privy coin.
Other Popular Series
- Birds of Prey Series: The Birds of Prey Series was a four-coin collection featuring unique birds, all designed by Emily Damstra. The series was released over two years and featured the Peregrine Falcon (2014) Bald Eagle (2014) Red-Tailed Hawk (2015) and the Great Horned Owl (2015). The first two coins are available in both BU and proof versions.
- Canadian Wildlife Series: One of the more popular non-Maple Leaf options is the Canadian Wildlife Series. This collection featured six coins, each containing 1 Troy oz of .9999 pure silver. Each coin had a mintage of just 1 million coins. The series featured the Timber Wolf (2011) Grizzly (2011) Cougar (2012) Moose (2012) Wood Bison (2013) and the Pronghorn Antelope (2013).
- Predator Series: Like the Birds of Prey, all these coins were designed by Emily Damstra. This 4-coin set was released one at a time over the course of four years. It includes the Cougar (2016) Lynx (2017) Wolf (2018) and the Grizzly (2019).
Buying Canadian Silver at Provident Metals
For any inquiries about Canadian Silver, don’t hesitate to contact the Provident Metals team at 1-800-313-3315. Our team can also be reached via email or through our online chat feature as well.