The $10 Eagle was a gold coin produced by the US Mint since the late 1700s. These coins boasted a high level of purity as well as multiple iconic designs that make them a popular choice for collectors and investors to this day. Learn all about these well-known coins that we offer here at Provident Metals.
Eagles were introduced by the United States Mint in 1795 and were in circulation until 1933 when all gold coinage was halted. $10 Eagle Gold Coins were authorized by the Coinage Act of 1792. The eagle was the largest of the main base units of denomination along with the mill, cent, dime, and dollar. The eagle also served as the basis for the quarter eagle, half eagle, and double eagle.
The first $10 Eagle Gold Coins featured what is commonly known as the Turban Head design on the obverse. These coins featured a right-profile portrait of Lady Liberty wearing a Phrygian cap with her hair wrapped around it, making it look like a turban. These coins were produced from 1795 to 1804.
Among the most popular designs in all American Gold coinage is the Pre-33 $10 Liberty Eagle Gold Coin. These coins were designed by Christian Gobrecht, the third Chief Engraver of the United States Mint.
These coins featuring Gobrecht’s design were used from 1838-1907. Notably, the Coinage Act of 1837 required all gold coinage to contain 90% of actual gold content. Thus, every Pre-33 $10 Liberty Eagle Gold Coin contains 90% gold content with the remaining 10% being made up of a silver and copper alloy mixture.
President Theodore Roosevelt wanted new, more artistic designs on US coins starting in 1904. Thus, the president reached out to his friend, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, to help. The new designs were under incredible delays as Saint-Gaudens was undergoing major health concerns, that ultimately took his life in 1907 before the coins were ever released.
Another delay was caused by the design being in high relief. As such, Charles E. Barber, Chief Engraver at the time, modified the design to a lower relief, allowing for just one strike to produce the design. Saint-Gaudens completed the designs for this eagle as well as the double eagle before his death.
These coins were issued from 1907 to 1933. However, they were irregularly issued from 1916-1933.
Gold coinage was stopped in 1933. However, as part of the United States commemorative coins program, the US Mint has issued several commemorative eagle coins throughout the years. Multiple coins have been issued over the years to celebrate momentous occasions or anniversaries such as the 1984 Summer Olympics Eagle Gold Coin or the 2003 Eagle Gold Coin to celebrate the Wright brothers’ first flight. These commemorative coins have allowed the eagle to have a long-lasting legacy past 1933.
We have a wide array of $10 Gold Eagles at Provident Metals. For any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Our customer service team is available at 1-800-313-3315. Alternatively, we can also be reached through email or our online chat feature.