From 1909 to 1958, the design on the copper US Penny was known as the Wheat Penny. Even though the coins have been more broadly categorized as the Lincoln Cent for the obverse bust of President Abraham Lincoln, the Wheat Penny term refers to a shorter design program in the longer series that was available from the debut of the Lincoln Cent until 1958. Today, you have the chance to purchase Wheat Pennies in 50 Count Rolls online at Provident Metals.
The Wheat Penny was available from 1909 to 1958 with 95% copper content for all coins in this date range except the 1943 War Penny. Commonly known as the Steel Cent, this one-year issue in the midst of World War II removed all copper and tin, and used only a thin zinc coating around a steel core to preserve copper, tin, and zinc for the war effort. Coins issued 1909 to 1942 in this range have 95% copper with a mix of tin or zinc for the remaining 5%. This was also used in post-World War II pennies.
President Abraham Lincoln is featured on the obverse of the Wheat Pennies in this 50 Count Roll. The bust of Lincoln featured here was designed in 1909 by Victor David Brenner to mark the 100th anniversary of Lincolns birth. The design has been modernized a handful of times, but still remains on the obverse of the modern US Penny issued in the 21st century.
Wheat Stalks depicted on the reverse of Wheat Pennies give this design series in the Lincoln Cent range its name. There are two wheat stalks on this side of the coin that flank the denomination and nation of issue inscriptions in the center of the design field. These inscriptions are marked as One Cent and United States of America.
The Wheat Penny was designed by Victor David Brenner in 1909. The original design of the coins included his initials of VDB in the obverse field below Lincolns bust, but the initials were removed in 1910 as it was not popular with the American public. The rarest Wheat Pennies are typically the 1909-S VDB coins that were struck at the San Francisco Mint with the VDB initials included.
These Wheat Pennies are available to you in a roll with a tube that includes a total of 50 Wheat Pennies. A Common Date listing such as this one offers the most readily available remaining date marks. For this series, that means you are most likely to receive a tube with a mixture of date marks from the 1940s and 1950s, the last two decades of coining for the Wheat Penny design.
Please contact Provident Metals customer service with your questions. You can reach us on the phone at 800-313-3315, chat with us live online, or email us directly.
When the subtotal of your purchase, including applicable discounts, is $199 or more, you receive free shipping for your entire order. In order to receive free shipping on purchases of $199 or more, you must live within the 50 US states. For orders less than $199, a $9.95 shipping fee applies. All products are discreetly packaged and shipped with full insurance included.
Most Provident orders are shipped within one (1) business day of your payment clearing. Payments made via PayPal clear instantly. Bitcoin payments clear instantly once the transaction is confirmed. Credit Card and bank wire payments process within 1 business day. ACH and paper check payments take 3-5 business days. Once payments are processed, products are released to fulfillment for packaging and shipping.
All orders of $199 or more that are eligible for free shipping are, by default, shipped via a carrier of our choice (USPS or UPS). Depending on the contents and size of your purchase, you may be able to upgrade to a specific carrier during checkout.
For those orders of $999.99 or less, there is no need to sign for your package. However, you may select the option to require a signature at delivery if you want. This can be chosen and paid for at checkout. All orders of $1000 or more require a signature to complete delivery.
Provident is only able to ship to addresses in any of the 50 US states. This includes P.O. boxes and APO addresses.
|Mint Mark||Not Shown|
|Designer (Obverse)||Victor D. Brenner|
|Designer (Reverse)||Lyndall Bass|
|Product Series||Wheat Pennies|
|Certificate of Authenticity||No|
|Shipping||Orders over $199 Ship Free|