Pre-33 Gold Coins remain popular among both collectors and investors to this day. A popular option is $5 Half Eagle Gold Coins. These coins were first introduced in 1795 and were in circulation until 1929, shortly before all gold coinage production was stopped. These coins featured an array of incredible designs over its history. Learn more about these well-known coins here at Provident Metals.
Production of the quarter eagle, half eagle, and eagle were named and authorized by the Coinage Act of 1792. Notably, the half eagle was also the first gold coin to be minted by the US Mint. It earned its name as its face value was exactly half that of the eagle gold coin.
Over the years, many different designs have been featured on $5 Half Eagle Gold Coins. These included the following:
Among the most popular $5 Half Eagle Gold Coins is the Liberty head design by Christian Gobrecht. This design was first used in 1839 and was used until 1908 making it the longest-running design for $5 Half Eagle Gold Coins.
Notably, coins struck at the Philadelphia Mint contain 90% gold content with the other 10% being made of copper. Coins struck at the Charlotte Mint and the Dahlonega Mint contain up to 5% silver content.
In 1904, President Theodore Roosevelt wanted to change the look of American gold coinage. He enlisted the help of his friend Augustus Sant-Gaudens to create designs for five coins. Prior to his death in 1907, Saint-Gaudens had only completed the designs for the eagle and the double eagle. The US Mint was originally going to use the double eagle design for the half eagle and the quarter eagle but had problems fitting the inscriptions on these coins.
Due to this, the US Mint enlisted the help of Boston sculptor Bela Lyon Pratt to create new designs for these smaller gold coins. The Pre-33 $5 Indian Half Eagle Gold Coins were struck from 1908 to 1916, and then again in 1929.
At Provident Metals, we have a great selection of $5 Half Eagle Gold Coins. For any questions regarding them or other gold bullion, please don’t hesitate to ask. Our customer service team is available at 1-800-313-3315. We can also be contacted through email or our online chat feature.